According to Info Sapiens Omnibus, in February of this year, 9% of Ukrainians aged over 16 years old indicate that there are people in their household who are ready to sell their votes. Also, 75% of Ukrainians indicate that nobody in their household is ready to sell their votes, and 16% can not answer the question. The residents of the South (5%) and the West (6%) are the least likely to sell their votes.
Regarding indirect bribery of voters, then 1% of Ukrainians admitted that they would take a gift and would be inclined to vote for the candidate from whom they received it. Another 2% would take a gift, but this would prevent them from voting for the relevant candidate, and 19% would take a gift, but they would vote for someone they think was appropriate. Only 23% would not take a gift and it would prevent them from voting for the relevant candidate. Together with those 2% who would take a gift and vote for another candidate, overall, 25% of the respondents said that they would not vote for those, who are engaged in indirect bribery of voters. The proportion of those who will not vote for politicians who bribe voters, decreases with age. The largest number of those who will not vote for politicians, who bribe voters is in Kyiv – 36%, while the least is in the North – 11%.
60% of Ukrainians believe that people agree to sell their votes because of unsatisfactory financial situation, 45% — due to disbelief to election results, 18% — due to no punishment for such violations, 14% — due to lack of awareness of possible punishment. The respondents with higher than average income and with higher education more often refuse to vote for those who bribe voters, than poorer and less educated respondents. Only 15% of Ukrainians are aware that there is a criminal liability for selling the votes and only 13% would turn to law enforcement agencies if a particular candidate or party offered money or a gift for their vote.
«The majority of the population do not admit that gifts can affect their voting, but at the same time, they do not refuse to vote for those who bribe voters, — Inna Volosevych, Deputy Director of Info Sapiens, comments. — In other words, Ukrainians are indifferent to the attempts of political forces to buy their votes. It is worth to emphasize the disgrace of such practices in electoral literacy campaigns.»
Information about the study
Omnibus sample size is 1,000 interviews with persons aged over 16 years old. The sample is representative of the population of this age group by gender, age, size of settlement and region of residence. The study was conducted only in territories controlled by Ukraine, excluding Autonomous Republic of Crimea and the non-government controlled areas of Donetsk and Luhansk regions. The maximum theoretical error does not exceed 3.2%. Field stage of this wave of Omnibus was held in February 1-14, 2019.
- The full text of the press release can be downloaded here